Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Risotto


So this is the FIRST ever risotto that I have made or even eaten. It was a chicken, mushroom and roasted tomato one. It was very time consuming and as I was making it I was wondering if all i was doing was a drawn out fried rice - it just looked like gluggy over cooked rice! HOWEVER I was pleasantly surprised at the outcome - the aborio rice is really nice and though it looked like it would be gluggy it wasn't at all. It was creamy and firm. Go figure. SO are there any Risotto making masters out there with tips on better flavour or technique (not sure HOW it should look or taste!).

2 comments:

make it perfect said...

Hey Becky,

Not claiming to be a risotto MASTER but I do make it quite a bit!

You just gotta keep stirring and stirring and stirring and adding small amounts of boiling liquid the whole time until the rice is cooked, but not soggy and most of the liquid is absorbed.

I only really use vegetable or chicken stock for flavour. A nice one is chicken and mushroom and add a bit of balsamic vinegar at the end. And cheese - you always gotta add parmesan (or normal) grated cheese!

make it perfect said...

P.S. Come for a visit anytime!