Sunday, April 11, 2010

Love in a Torn Land

Nope it isn't the title of a trashy Mills and Boon novel!!

I recently borrowed this book from my mother in law and thought it would be a hard book to get into. Boy was I wrong. Its the story of a Iraqi Kurdish woman named Joanna Al-Aksari Hussain. She grew up in Baghdad as the daughter of an Iraqi father and Kurdish mother. The story tells of the atrocities that the Kurdish people were subjected too. I guess I am very sheltered here in Tassie. I knew about Saddam Hussein's attempt at genocide against the Kurds but really that was it. I didn't realise however that about 100,000 Kurds were murdered and that after they dropped the chemical bombs on the villages and cities of Kurdistan the Iraqi military went in and blew up the buildings then bulldozed them so the people who had fled the attacks had nothing to come back to. Joanna fell in love with a Peshmerga (a Kurdish freedom fighter) and after a mills and boon like start to their story (she loved him, he ignored her broke her heart and years later wrote her all these love letters, she ignored him then EVENTUALLY they got together - fairytale stuff!!!!) they lived in a Kurdish village that was routinely bombed every afternoon. Anyways after the chemical attacks Joanna was partially blinded, and her husband Sarbast and his cousin and herself climbed over the massive mountain (i am pretty vague on the details) into Iran where even more hardship awaited them. I just can't describe all the hardships, trials, terror and horror that they faced. The evil that is in the world really is frightening. I am so greatful i was born in Australia. This book made me think differently about all these refugees that seem to be flooding into our country, not that I ever thought they shouldn't be here, but we have no idea what some of these people are fleeing from - I mean who would willing take their kids across the ocean in a dilapidated boat?

ANYWAY! I recommend this book to anyone - it has so much in it and I couldn't put it down (though i had to due to the recent gastro bout!) A real tribute to patriotism and the power of Love!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a really powerful book wasn't it Becky?
It really made me think about the refugee situation a lot.
Love Lorraine.
xxx

Blanche said...

I've picked this one up a couple of times at the Library thinking it might be a good read but my problem is I always have about three books on the go at once. So when I finish reading Mao's last dancer, Lance Armstrong's autobiography and the secret life of bees I'm going to check it out!! Thanks x

Aimee said...

sounds like a sad but good book. I should read it... I need to get back into reading :)

marnie said...

Sounds like a really good book. Thanks for the great book review...Ill look for it at the library...but like Blanche , I always have a few books on the go too. And you are right- the situation for some people must be so horrendous( spelling?) if they will take their kids across the ocean in a shonky boat with no knowing what will greet them on the otehr side.