Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Happiest Refugee

The happiest refugee. Thats for sure. Maybe the happiest Australian even.
I got mum a copy of Anh Do's Autobigraphy for helping out while Jack was born. Jared was secretly chuckling as he got the book for me for Christmas. Anh was born in vietnam - when he was about two years old hs family and some extended family fled to Australia. The going was so rough - they were 'boat people'. I don't want to say too much as its much better to read it in his 'voice'. But I'll tell you its the best book I've read in years and was so funny I'd laugh out loud. I love how he took every challenge in his life and turned it into a triumph. He has an amazing mother and its such an inspiring story. Makes you think twice about the plight of 'boat'people. How can you turn away someone who has fled terrible hardship and risked their lives - and the lives of their children- just to live on the poverty line here in Australia and then think they are living like kings!

Read it - you'll love it - anyone can borrow mine (I think like 5 people have read it so far)!

3 comments:

Melinda said...

He's a funny man that's for sure.

Charlotte said...

I have heard of this book before, and have been meaning to read it, I have heard lots of good things about it. I must read it one of these days. ha

Bride said...

i love Ahn, such a down to earth guy, and so funny! He comes from a very humble back ground, i remember seeing and interview with him and Andrew Denton. I'll have to buy this book!
thanks